In this issue: President Barack Obama's talk to students, a look at Writer's Digest epic conversation with Stephen King and Jerry Jenkins, an update on CCF's online writing contests, a free 411 number and beautiful animated eCards that come with great customer service, reviews of a book and a song CCF considers top picks, and the announcement of my acceptance into the NLAPW.
NEW TO THE CCF SITE:
- Barack Obama: We are what we learn -- On September 8, 2009, President Barack Obama gave a speech directly to America's students. Students tuned in from all across America, from kindergarten to 12th grade as he spoke. The President's words echo the same things parents tell their kids everyday: Do your best. Be your best. Don't give up. Do your homework. Get an education. Watch the video of his talk and the PSA of NASCAR drivers encouraging kids to get an education. Check out the links to the transcript and related classroom activities.
- Stephen King & Jerry Jenkins: An Epic Conversation on Writing -- If you're a writer, and do not already subscribe to Writer's Digest magazine, then articles such as the Stephen King & Jerry Jenkins interview in the May/June 2009 issue might just convince you to do so. Both authors had much to share that made this a "must read" article on writing. I can't quote everything they said but have listed in this article some of the words that caught my attention the most.
- GOOG-411 Google's 411 service is free, fast and easy to use. Give it a try and see how simple it is to find and connect with local businesses for free.
- Ojolie's Card of the Month: Beautiful eCards & Service -- We're happy to introduce Ojolie animated eCards to our visitors. We have been looking for such a company for quite some time, a company that not only offers beautiful eCards but also has good customer service. This is what we've found in Ojolie.
- Lamplighter -- The second book in Cornish's Monster Blood Tattoo series, Lamplighter, is as engrossing as the first one was and should grab middle grade students' attention just as much. [ISBN: 978-0399246395; Putnam Juvenile; May 1, 2008; Ages 9-12]
- CCF Top Picks:
- "Pa'lante" (Move on) by Willy Chirino. There's an inherent power in music to lift our soul out of the mire of daily living and unto a place where we can begin to see things more clear. That power is intensified when the lyrics, the words carried along by the rhythm, are words of life, of hope, of encouragement. This is what I found in Willy Chirino's single, "Pa'lante."
- Bestsellers: Booksense Bestseller Lists- Links to the lists are updated regularly
REVISIT OLD FRIENDS: Do you have a favorite CCF article? Write and let us know and we'll list it in future bulletins under your name. Here are links to some of our favorites:
Thank you for subscribing to the CCF Bulletin. Make the CCF site your own! Keep sending us your favorite links, news items, book reviews and questions we can design polls for. It's great to hear from our visitors and post their input to the CCF site. Also, let us know if you notice links that are not working. Let's keep the CCF site free of link rot!
All for now,
Olgy Gary, M.A., CCF's General Manager
Children Come First...because they're our greatest treasure!