Many of the entries we receive for the CCF Online writing contest are of high caliber. We felt some of the entries would qualify for the Highlights 2010 Fiction Contest so we wrote Highlights asking whether they would accept entries that had been published to the CCF site.
We heard back from Marileta Robinson, Senior Editor, Highlights for Children. Ms. Robinson wrote us that they didn't have a problem accepting stories for the Fiction Contest that had only been posted on the CCF web site. Ms. Robinson asked that if you are submitting an entry that was previously posted to the CCF site that you would mention that in your cover letter.
So...with Highlights' permission and blessing, if you wrote and submitted to the CCF contest a story that fits with their current contest theme, you can take that entry, dust it off, make it family-themed if it's not already, and send it off to Highlights! Make sure you mention in your cover letter that it was first posted to the CCF site, as Ms. Robinson requests you do. The Highlights contest is open to both published and yet-to-be-published writers so even if you've not participated in writing contests in the past, why not give this one a try?
Here's info on the Highlights Fiction Contest: There are three prizes of $1000 each. The deadline is January 1, 2010 and the theme is "based on a true story from your family." Here's the link and we think many of you receiving this news release should go ahead and submit. We just may try it ourselves. http://www.highlights.com/highlights-fiction-contest
The HIGHLIGHTS contest calls for fiction based on a true story from your family. Let us know If you submit to this contest so we can all keep toes and fingers crossed for you. :-)
Here's the 2010 Highlights Fiction Contest, as posted to their website:
HIGHLIGHTS 2010 FICTION CONTEST GUIDELINES
CATEGORY: Fiction based on a true story from your family.
ENTRY DATES: All entries must be postmarked between January 1 and January 31, 2010.
- No entry form or fee is required.
- ***Entrants must be at least 16 years old at the time of submission.
- We welcome work from both published and unpublished authors. All submissions must be previously unpublished.
- Stories may be any length up to 750 words. Stories for beginning readers should not exceed 475 words. Indicate the word count in the upper right-hand corner of the first page of your manuscript.
- No crime, violence, or derogatory humor.
- Entries not accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope will not be returned.
- Manuscripts or envelopes should be clearly marked FICTION CONTEST. Those not marked in this way will be considered as regular submissions to Highlights.
SEND ENTRIES TO:
Highlights for Children
803 Church Street
Honesdale, PA 18431
The three winning entries will be announced on Highlights.com in June 2010. These stories will become the property of Highlights for Children and will be published by Highlights. All other submissions will be considered for purchase by Highlights.
*** We're sorry that we cannot consider contest entries from children under the age of 16. Young writers are welcome to submit their work for consideration elsewhere in the magazine. Guidelines are available on HighlightsKids.com.